Saturday, 22 October 2011

exit 1;

I know it's been a while, but I have been busy (yes, it does happen on occasion).

And, while I was otherwise engaged, another luminary of the digital age has left us to continuously look for ways around this valley of tears we inhabit (and no, I do not mean the Silicon variety). To stop beating around the bush - and especially stop trying to mint horrible metaphors - let's all stop for a monet and reflect on dmr.

If you thought the death of St Steve left the world poorer for a giant then you either think the same of Dennis Ritchie - or you have well and truly lived in a cave (or care only about how shiny and Fisher-Price like is your tech kit). Because, and if you didn't know you should really look it up now, a huge amount of the computing kit and software we use today rests on the shoulder of another giant - Dennis Ritchie, dmr.

No need to say more, really, so let me finish with the canonical "Hello, World!" program written in correct C (unlike elsewhere):

#include <stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
    printf("Hello, World!\n");
    exit 1;
}
Oh, and if you are wondering why I chose exit value reflecting not everything went well with my little program, it is, of course, because there is something a little less well with the world with no dmr in it.