Saturday, 2 July 2011

Technology: Profiling

I know exactly what I want for Christmas*: a Google Profile...

Well, actually, I'd like to have one right now. Heck, I'd have loved to have had one for quite some time now. Alas, we who throw all our lot with Google by signing up and diligently using Google Apps (for Domains, at least) seem to get a short shrift in this respect. No Google Profiles for us. At least not yet. Now, I am not all that mad about people being able to check out my particulars on such a profile. I'm not even sure I'd have made it public had I had one in the first place. What does really get to me is that not having one prevents me from using quite a few of other Google features. OK, the Buzz may not be very high on that list, but Google+ sounds just like the social network for the rest of us (i.e. us Facebook deniers). And there's more which are probably not worthy of mention. And yes, I could go and use my old (but still active) @gmail.com account, but that would mean juggling identities and if I was into that sort of thing I'd have been a spy, not an engineer. Even more sadly, as it is always with Google, the support is "coming" - just don't ask when. So, in that light, I can only express my utter discontentedness, and plead to Google:

Let Christmas come early this year...


* No, I did not suddenly started to believe in god or even Santa Claus (aka St Nicholas). I am just using a well known word to denote a well known date, especially in relation to the propensity of people to dish out nice presents on said day. So get off it. OK?