Wednesday, 15 June 2011

You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!

I've just popped round Amazon UK Chromebook page...

Nope, not yet ready to throw away all my local files and embrace The Cloud. Not even with a 3G enabled Chromebook. And certainly not for as near £400 as doesn't make any difference. Some of the reasons I have already outlined here. I won't bother you by repeating any, and neither will I add new ones (although there may be one or three). What I want to share here is what made me laugh when I scrolled a bit further down on the Samsung Chromebook page. It's where Amazon tells you how many people buy the item featured on the page, and then how many buy alternative items after going off elsewhere. Now, interesting in itself as it is, it is not that an amazing 58% of visitors to the Chrombook page have actually pre-ordered it (it will be available on 1 August, apparently). It is what people buy next most often when they have perused the Chromebook, and it is actually a book. But a book with a very funny (apt?) title: "You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!", by one Danny Bent. Cheap, cheerful, and very "cloudy" it is (being a Kindle edition) but one has to at least smile at the sequence: Q: Chromebook, anyone? A: You've gone too far this time, Sir!

And as I said before, the Cloud may indeed be a step too far...