Sunday, 12 June 2011

Seriously Silly

Via venerable Rosa, a list of questions from one Eric Hovind...

As Rosa already pointed out, the questions are indeed silly and certainly not something "science can't answer". She even goes as far as providing sensible replies to each and every one of them (even if some are a bit tongue in cheek). What I'll try to do is give questions exactly as much respect as they deserve, which is very little. And I don't think it matters, or that Eric (or his dad, Kent) will really care. After all, they certainly didn't ask them so they can get sensible and correct answers, because if they did their whole world-view would collapse around their ears. So, let's have a bit of fun...
  1. Why am I here?
    Here? What here you have in mind? On Earth? In my office? In general? I'm sorry, but there is no "in general". Unless you mean the birds and the bees. But Rosa already told you about that...

  2. What happens when you die?
    Nothing, really. Unless you meant the funeral, mourning of those who survived you, and suchlike? In which case you're again asking silly questions.

  3. What is the purpose of my life?
    The purpose of your life is to make people believe in falsehoods. The purpose of my life is to enjoy it while it lasts. The purpose of life in general is to replicate the genes. You should read more Dawkins, you know.

  4. What determines “Good” and “Evil”?
    It's the wrong question. It's not "what", but "who". Even you should know that, and even if a god existed. Unless, of course, your god is a rock or something, rather than someone. In any case, it's you and me baby, who determine good and evil. I wonder we share the definitions, though, you and I.

  5. Where did love come from?
    Which love you have in mind, Eric? My love for my wife comes from me. Her love for me comes from her. Your love for your god comes from some sort of delusion, but that's your problem, not mine.

  6. Why does mankind abuse and kill its own?
    Let me answer with a question once again: Why do most animals abuse and kill their own? But if you really want to know, it's for personal gain and enhancing chances of one's (genes') survival. Oh, but if I grant you a god exists then the answer is obvious: because your god wants it like that. Which means he/she/it must be evil (see also question number four).

  7. Where did the first teeny-weeny molecule of matter come from?
    As Rosa kindly explained it came from the first teeny-weeny atoms of matter. Go grab yourself a textbook on physics, will you?

  8. Does a physical world exist beyond my mind?
    Yes it does. It's all that stuff you can feel with your fingers.

  9. Why are there male and female?
    You really should spend more time actually finding answers, rather than just piling up questions. By the way, there are also living things that do not have male and female forms. And now go grab yourself a biology textbook.

  10. Why does it take both sexes to create a new life?
    Not necessarily. See above. And that textbook. You can sure afford one. Oh, and because it's fun. Sex. Seriously. You don't think so?

  11. What is life?
    Have a look in the mirror. Then go to a farm and look at all the animals and plants. Then, if you're still curious ,go get yourself a microscope and have a look into a drop of puddle water. But seriously... No, can't be bothered. And by the way, why is such a question even relevant? Interesting, yes. But relevant? Not sure it is.

  12. Where did laws come from?
    In UK, the laws are enacted by parliament. The parliament is elected in general elections, generally held every four or five years. Elected are 650 (soon to be 600) members of parliament. All of them human (at least by the outside looks). So, I guess the laws come from men (and women). At least in Britain, and I suspect in the States, too. Don't tell me you didn't know that?

  13. How did Time, Space and Matter come into existence?
    Here, you should read more Hawking. Can you really not afford a good book? It does seem your funds only stretch so far you can buy a Bible, Internet access, and a computer. Or did you have to borrow all of those, too? (I see you capitalised them all. If you actually meant specific people or objects by those names then I'm sorry, but I don't know (of) them personally so can't help.)

  14. How did something come from nothing?
    This is something that can be read about in a b-o-o-k. One on (quantum) physics. Not a Bible. Sorry.
So, there you have it Eric. A completely useless set of answers to a completely silly set of questions. You asked for it mate. Just don't go crying into your beer. But I guess you don't drink. A shame. Inebriation makes intense religious experiences easier to obtain. It does go hard on your liver, but what's a liver when enlightenment is in the offing. Or, for much better results, you could actually go to a decent school or university (or both, in that order) and get yourself up to speed with science. Real science. Repeat after me:


B-i-b-l-e   i-s   n-o-t   a   s-c-i-e-n-t-i-f-i-c   t-e-x-t. 
I-t   d-o-e-s   n-o-t   e-x-p-l-a-i-n   t-h-e   w-o-r-l-d.


Phew, that was a mouthful. Shame you won't listen. I can almost see you with fingers in your ears shouting la-la-la-la-la so you're not infected with that greatest of all evils - the truth and knowledge.

Sad. Truly sad...

PS
No need to thank me for giving you answers to more questions than Rosa did. Really. It was my pleasure.