Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Food: The Logic Of

I've been food shopping again today...

Yes, I've been do Asda again. This time I even went specifically for something we (as in me and my S.O.) think they actually do well, or rather, better than, say, Sainsbury's. It's Asda's in-store made pizza, since you have to ask. But, again, that's not what I am going to tell you about. What I am going to talk is cheese. Grated hard cheese in particular. Because I wanted some. I know Asda do it, just like Sainsbury's. The problem is: I couldn't find it. Yes, I could have asked (and I did), but that's not the point. The point is, wherever they do keep it, it's not where it logically belongs. I hope you'd agree it belonged close by the other kinds of grated cheeses. But in Asda it doesn't. And I think, apart from the mere quality of products, that is one reason I cannot really go to Asda and do all the shopping I need. The stuff just isn't where I'd expect it to be, logically. In Sainsbury's it is. And it is not just because I go to Asda less often. As a matter of fact I think I cross their threshold almost as much as I do Sainsbury's. But every time I do I am back at square one. Some of the things they sell are distributed so illogically around the store that I may spend time looking for them on three consecutive visits. That's not nearly good enough. So, coupled with better quality, it is Sainsbury's that wins my loyalty every time.

And Tesco? Well, Tesco is just plain crap...