Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Food: 1 vs 200 Million

Last night I popped into my local Asda...

Cheap and cheerful, Asda. Usually quite underwhelming, too. However, it does sometimes put out a real bargain for stuff I usually buy (no, not the Asda's own - that I tend to give a very wide berth). And after all, it is good to shop around. Sometimes. What is also good sometimes is to fall for advertising, and last night I fell for Asda's, hook, line, and sinker. Admittedly, it was a sort of reverse advertising, urging you to have one less. The clever bit is that it also urges you to have one more - and who can resist that? Let me explain: a prominent poster at each till urges you to have one more item in every plastic bag of shopping you pack, and thus possibly use one less plastic bag. It also gives you numbers, the ones from the title of this post. Apparently, if we all put one more item in every plastic shopping bag we'd use 200 million shopping bags less every year (presumably over the whole of the retail industry). Can you imagine the amount of tip space 200 million plastic bags take? Even when crushed? I know I can't, but I also know it must be considerable. And even if these were recyclable eco-green-peace-loving bags we'd still save lots of energy required to make them. So, yes, I took a bit more care packing and left Asda with one bag less. Can you?

Because good advice can come from the strangest of places...