Monday, 20 June 2011

Business: Of Concentration

I've moved into new offices just this morning...

And a very nice office space it is. I'm well impressed. I'd even show you, but if I did I'd have to kill you first. Or later. I always get confused which works best. But I digress. So, everything's nice, spacious, airy, light. Heck, I even got a window seat and it overlooks a bit of a park with a fountain (and a couple of duck happily swimming around its pond). I don't even have anybody breathing down my neck or looking over a shoulder. Coffee area has a TV. Windows open, and I'm the local window-master (or hope to become, by force if necessary). What's to dislike? Well, one quite important thing. There's no air-conditioning. No, I am not worried I will suffocate from lack of air, or freeze, or boil. I am however already suffocating in the noise and chatter everybody on the floor is making. Until you lose the hum of air-conditioning you never realise how it also nicely shields you from that other kind of noise pollution, the one that makes it very, very difficult to concentrate. A partial solution is to don a pair of headphones and immerse yourself in music, but that has its limitations, too. You cannot do absolutely everything while listening to music. Although it's probably better than listening to two guys discussing the latest cricket scores. Maybe a pair of noise cancelling headphones tuned into a piece of silence? Oh, how I hate open-plan offices!

Claustrophobic they may be, but give me a cubicle any day...