Thursday, 16 June 2011

Beer: Or Bondage

I've been poring over visitor statistics for this wee blog of mine...

Yes, of course I want to know how many people end up here. Who wouldn't. I am certainly not immune to vanity. Are you? No, thought not. But then, as has been shown in the past decades by the demise of some theories of society, the quantity does not necessarily transmute into quality (although, do note that there's still a lot to be learned from Messrs Marx, Engels, and yes, even Lenin). So, I don't juts look at the raw counters (and not just because the sight is just a tad depressing). No, the good folks at both Statcounter and Google also provide a breakdown of search terms people use and where they tend to come from. The latter I have already talked about, and it is the former that is of interest right now. Two search types stand out the most. Or I should say one search type, and one particular search. The former is less interesting and relates to my, apparently quite well chosen list of favourite ex-Yugoslav tunes. This attracts quite a lot of hits from all sorts of places in former Yugoslavia from people looking for certain dear songs. Which is good. I hope they also sometimes stop to read the blog proper (but I doubt it, frankly).

Now, the other search that pops up over and over again always leads people directly to this post. You can see that it does stand out quite prominently because I've just realised that I have written about it before. One thing that I didn't seem to notice then was that it's much, much less - if at all - about iStuff and St Steve. No, on second look, there is apparently enough people looking for "self bondage techniques" (yup, that's the search term that I see most often) that some of them eventually click through to my post about Apple! Maybe they expect they'll find an interesting new self bondage technique that involves apples? I guess one does get a bit bored with pears after a while. But then I don't practice (self) bondage so who am I to comment? BTW, it would be interesting to learn if more people interested in self bondage will browse further then those interested in good music. I'm sure I could find out if I wanted to spend enough time poring over the stats. But that's time better spent elsewhere.

Unless, eventually, I don't try my hand at self bondage, mess it up, and starve to death - apples or no Apples...