Sunday, 29 May 2011

Religion: Of Necessity

You could do worse of a Sunday afternoon than hop over here for some good reading...

Since today (and most other days, for that matter) I cannot match Rosa Rubicondior, here's a nice list of silly reasons people put forward to justify their faith:

  • There must be a god otherwise there would be no morality;
  • There must be a god otherwise I would have nowhere to go when I die;
  • There must be a god otherwise I would not be so special that the universe as created for me;
  • There must be a god otherwise the explanation for everything would be too hard for me to understand;
  • There must be a god otherwise I would be just another animal and I'm too important for that;
  • There must be a god otherwise my invisible friend would not be real;
  • There must be a god otherwise I would just be talking to myself when I pray;
  • There must be a god otherwise my belief in it would be wrong. (This is often referred to as ‘faith’ – I believe it, therefore it must be true.)

As silly as it is even when it is not nicely spelled out like this, I'm afraid...