Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Food: For Thought (on Facebook)

The following statistics on Facebook nearly got me off my food...

Yes, it may be a bit stale, but really I jest. I like my food more than I dislike Facebook. But one thing did really make me think about the social network that now boasts nearly 700 million users (of which none of them is me). Just have a look at this data points:

  • Average user has 130 friends on the site
  • Average user visits the site 40 times per month
  • Average user sends 8 friend requests per month
  • Average user spends an 23 minutes on each visit
  • Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
  • Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events

I mean, if this isn't shallow I don't know what is. Facebook purportedly "connects" you to people and gives you some "value" while it does so. But how much "quality time" can you spend when you have to share your 40 times 23 minutes a month among 130 "friends"? I'll tell you how much: 7 minutes. And that does not take into account the time required to "create" those 90 pieces of "content". I mean, giving 90 updates and/or photos out for your 130 "friends" to see is hardly "quality time" or a real contact. So, I will continue my Luddite attitude and not even attempt to take part in all this malarkey. It'll only leave more time for quality time with friends.

No scare quotes...