Monday, 2 May 2011

Business: As Usual?

So Osama bin Laden has finally been found and killed...

A true victory for US intelligence and ground troupes. A sea burial is also a nice touch. Let's just hope it was done in the Muslim way so as not to unnecessarily anger even the ones who otherwise might not have supported bin Laden. Which brings me to the thorny question of what happens next. Will this really be a great defeat of Al-Qaeda? A beginning of a new wave of reprisals and radicalisation? Or will it really be business as usual (a business angle after all)? I mean, BBC itself uses the phrase "[b]in Laden had approved the 9/11 attacks" (emphasis is mine). Not planned or organised - "approved", presumably somebody else's plans and organisation. Will that somebody else (or, more likely, those somebodies) continue to do more of the same? What good is guerilla movement if it falls apart when a leader dies?

Oh, just to make sure it's clear: I'm not in any way supporting Muslim (or any other, for that matter) radicalism and especially not terrorism. What I am trying to warn of is the danger of complacency - believing the credits will roll "The End" now that Osama bin Laden is dead. I'm sure the security professionals know this already, but I also think that the media should (gently) point out to the masses that a great battle might have been won, but that the war is still on. One more thing: yes, I said "war", but this again does not mean that I necessarily subscribe to the way current US "war on terror" is being or has been conducted. "Hearts and minds" seems to have been sadly neglected in favour of guns and mines. But that is maybe a topic for another day.

Today, I fear, is just a blip in (terror) business as usual...