Saturday, 9 April 2011

Technology: Pictorial

As recently as a month ago we celebrated a thirtieth birthday...

While I remember that machine very much and on a very personal level, the one celebrating it's thirtieth this week, the Osborne I only ever met through magazines and word of mouth. Which is probably a good thing seeing how portable that particular portable was and me never being very much of a porter myself. However, I will admit to see it as one of the beautiful machines. If you don't believe me, or if you're simply too young to consider any machine to be A Thing Of Beauty, hop over to The Register and look at the pictorial of Osborne 1 and it's innards. And, I'd be remiss if I didn't draw your attention to page 4 with the wealth of 64KB of RAM memory build out of two-and-thirty 2KB chips. Of course, this is dwarfed by the main logic board with an amazing 107 chips in total.

Nothing more to say: hop over and feast your eyes...

PS
I may talk a bit about the Osborne effect some other time...