Friday, 29 April 2011

Beer: Escapism


Yes, beer is a great vehicle of escapism...

I will not deny it, even if I don't normally use it to that end. It is, after all, a beverage deserving of proper attention, and not just exploitation in pursuit of that which blanks out things we don't like about life - or about ourselves. However, today of all days, I think I will have to resort to just such use of my favourite drink. Yes, you guessed right. It is the British royal wedding. I can only hope there'll be a bar in Barcelona not showing the event. Or that the weather will be clement enough to allow sitting outside and staring into thin air. And try to forget how bad Spanish beer is. In fact I may even opt for wine. It's cheaper and better. Certainly better value for money. But, I will make sure to raise at least one glass to the newly weds. They do seem to be royally nice people, after all.

So, William and Katherine, here's looking at you kids...