Saturday, 12 March 2011

Technology: Disasters

As ever the world stands agape as a disaster unfolds...

I won't even try to talk about what happened in Japan. There are better informed and better spoken to do that instead of me. And, as much as I feel I could add some calming thoughts about the nuclear disaster which is also under way, or rather not quite under way as the breathless headline writers might want to portray it, well, I won't do that either. I wouldn't be believed anyway - even if I was listened to. So, instead, I will turn my eye on another, lightly related technological mishap. As it happens, the world is so hungry for information, any information, about the nuclear part of Japan's misfortune that the fact that Guardian has linked to a World Nuclear News article on the topic, has resulted in quite a different sort of meltdown. As is usual in such cases the WNN servers couldn't cope and it took them quite a while to serve the page for my perusal. Which may not have been such a bad thing after all because, correct and balanced as it is, the article is way to jargon-laden and unfriendly to a common man that it was better left to its intended audience of nuclear experts.

The moral: beef up your servers as well as your nuclear plants...