Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Science: Ridiculous

I just wasted two minutes of my life on a stupid BBC "science" quiz...

Some of you will be delighted to know I scored a meagre 5 out of 7 (for which the Auntie labelled me "dimly lit" of all things). In my defence - as if I needed one - the questions I didn't know an answer to were where the TV was first demonstrated (in a posh department store, of all places!) and what Alexander Graham Bell originally called the device he invented (and no, I did not even think it was "telephone"). Both of these questions are highly indicative of (any)ones scientific knowledge, right? Well, even if they were, a lot of BBC's own questions were horribly wrong in themselves. Embarrassingly so, too. I mean, since when scientist discover natural phenomena? Newton did not "discover" gravity. Gravity was there all along. Newton just formalised what we already knew. And of course, same with Michael Faraday who I could be generous enough to say did "discover" magnetic induction as it is the kind of thing not so readily notice like gravity. But the point is, it is positively harmful to make people (and children especially) have such terrible misconceptions about science, what it is, and what it does and doesn't do.

So, Auntie, you were not even dimly lit: you were (way) off (the mark).. Must do better...