Sunday, 20 March 2011

Religion: Non-Denominational? WTF?

An article about prayers in Minnesota Senate caught my eye...

Quite beside the conundrum of constitutional separation of church and state in US when confronted by the fact that there's praying going on left, right, and centre (or center, if you will) in various state institutions - Minnesota Senate included - the thing that caught my eye on this occasion is an apparent effort of Senator Terri Bonoff to not just keep the prayers, but also keep them "non-denominational". Now, I must wonder at this. Is it even possible for a prayer to be "non-denominational"? Even if we assume that a specific god's name is omitted and replaced by, say, word "god", how do we then cater for polytheistic religions? Using "gods" wont work as that would very specifically offend most monotheistic religions. So, no real solution there, if you ask me (but then, nobody really does, do they). I fear that any such attempt by Sen. Bonoff are in fact ignoring (and probably also ignorant of) any other than the three main monotheistic religions (you know who you are, I need not soil this page with calling you by names). Which is patently discriminative, at least in my book. But then again, I am yet to write one, and even when I do I doubt anyone would bother reading it, let alone paying for it.

But, to sum up: American church-state division very clearly isn't. Which is sad, if not scary...