Saturday, 5 February 2011

Technology: Marketing

When I recently donated some money to Linux Mint project I had no idea what a good marketing move it will be...

I mean, the only reason I did donate was because I feel that this particular flavour of Linux (based on Ubuntu, mostly) is well worth supporting. After all, I do use their product, and have been famously satisfied with it. However, it never occurred to me that typing in this blog's address into the donation form would result in a tenflod increase in traffic. Truly remarkable. I mean, I've punched in the same URL in various other place, too, but not a single one generated nowhere near the traffic - if any.

So, it does seem that Linux pays in many more ways than is immediately obvious...

PS
If you think that Linux is only good for riding on its coattails - shame on you!