Monday, 14 February 2011

Business: Nah, It's Technology

In keeping with today's misdirected posts, here's one on the latest Acer smartphone...

Which is - the post - not actually about Acer Iconia, as cool as it promises to be. It is - the post - about the recent claims (link needed here) that - shock! horror! - Android reduces phone manufacturers to mere hardware innovators, as it is difficult to differentiate with such a strong OS offering. And you know what? I actually think it's true! Only I don't think it's a bad thing. Looking back at the olden days of iPhone, S40, Symbian, and Windows Mobile (whichever version), the phones themselves were not that different from each other, at least not in the same price bracket. And that, surely, is not "a good thing"™. When I walk into a (virtual - I've no time for brick and mortar variety) mobile phone shop with an amount of money I want to spend I actually want to be able to choose between significantly different hardware all running my OS of choice. So, here's hoping Android (or similar worthy opponent) pushes phone manufacturers even harder in the hardware department. I for one will be grateful.

Bring it on, boys and girls!