Friday, 11 February 2011

Beer: Let's Hope It's For The Best

Another day, another proper beer maker gets bought...

So, an American brewer (are they allowed to call themselves that?) Molson Coors buys one of the smaller Cornish ones, Sharp's. I know Sharp's very well. In fact, I had a very good pint of Doom Bar just the other day (try it, it's really goo) - one of my favourites. Unfortunately, a few years ago, and in Cornwall of all places, I also had a pint of Coors (the "posh" pub didn't serve any ales), and my goodness what a horrible pint it was. At least when one drinks Budweisser there's barely any taste so at least it quenches thirst. Yuck! So, here's hoping that the Americans just quietly syphon any profits they wanted from Sharp's in the first place and don't meddle with the beers.

And here's hoping that acquisitions like these do not become a habit...