Sunday, 16 January 2011

Religion: Poor Souls!

I knew about this before, but this article in The Economist got me thinking...


As you can see, while a lot of them don't quite do divorce between people, the religions themselves seem to be quite prone to, how shall I put it - fission? Radioactive they're not, luckily, but my are they active in courts. And what's worse, they are wasting the time of the lay courts. Now, I'm not saying religions should be allowed to resolve their own property disputes - not at all. What I am saying, however, is that the process should be simplified so public money (even if they do pay costs) is not wasted. For example, take a simple count of the flock on either side of the dispute, sell the disputed assets and split the proceeds accordingly. Maybe sell at an auction? On eBay?

One church - used. Low starting price, no reserve. Seller: Solomon...