Monday, 10 January 2011

Business: Coattails

Or, why an Apple a quarter may be good for yours...

And here, I do not mean your own personal budget - even if operators do start offering truly unlimited data plans with their iPhones. For one, such plans will likely be hugely expensive, and for two, they may not work out quite well for the operators in the short to medium term (for reasons most non-technical users won't understand unless I spend a good few pages, and possibly reveal something I shouldn't - just take it on my industry insider word for now). No, I am talking about the whole rumour industry riding on the coattails of Apple and their press releases, conferences, and of course rumours of all sorts. What is going to be in the next iPhone? How many giga-whatsits will be in the next MacBook? Which irrelevant artist will be the next iTunes hit? See how it's done? It's close to next Apple press conference, and I am - as are gazillions of other technology sites - loading my post with Apple-related keywords, and some (or none) unconfirmed and uncorroborated information. Why? Ad revenue, of course!

Google must just love Apple...