Thursday, 23 December 2010

Politics: Gone Mad

Apparently, you can get fined for insulting a French flag...


Well, at least if you're in France. And you're not French. This last fact may not be relevant, though, as this seems to now be a French law. Insult a flag, pay up to €1500. A nice money earner that, especially if you successfully wind up foreigners. The problem here, for me at least, is that this is apparently (I do sometimes overuse this word - but I like it) a new law on French books. I wonder what on Earth might have motivated them to enact it in this day and age. I thought they were the ones who were all for all men being brothers, equal, and so on, and so forth. And what is a flag, after all? A piece of cloth, nothing more.

The clerk was lucky the Algerian didn't break the flagpole over his back...