Friday, 17 December 2010

Needs And Musts

If you haven't noticed that my writings here tend to vary in quality (probably a lot), I have.

As you can imagine, I am not quite happy that this is so. Who would be? After all, any normal person strives to do what they do in the best possible way - especially when they're allegedly doing it for themselves.

So, what can be done about this?



As with any problem, before a solution can be found - before any solution can even be contemplated - it is necessary to identify the root cause, and I think I have made some progress in that direction. After giving the problem a little thought today, I think there are two main reasons for varying quality of my posts. OK, there may be a third reason as well, but we don't talk about it...

Basically, I tend to sit down and write a Gnought when I either feel a really burning need to tell the world about something, or when I feel that too long has passed since the last one and I feel I just must keep the ball rolling.

Each of these urges results in a different quality post. As you should have guessed, the "needs" tend to produce a better quality text, while the "musts" tend to fare worse. How much worse, I will leave to you to judge.

Of course, there are exceptions to this rule. There are times when I find an issue that really, really gets to me really difficult to put to words. Similarly, every so often a forced topic tends to sit down quite well with me, and I produce something eminently passable. Still, I am quite sure that, on average, the theory of needs and musts holds true.

So, having hopefully identified the root cause of uneven quality on these pages, do I also think I have a cure? No. At least not yet. However, now being consciously conscious of the potential issue it may just happen that I start paying more attention and in turn also start producing a little bit better prose.

But, there's one thing that I will not do: I will never ever tell you, or even hint at, which topics belong to which of the two categories. And I will especially not tell you which ones fall into the third. Well, not any more.

What you'll need to do is try and guess. Maybe in that way you'll have even more fun. And it is all about fun, isn't it? Fun and games...