Friday, 24 December 2010

Beer: Christmas Ale

For as long as I've been drinking real ales, UK brewers went our of their ways to create special Christmas recipes...


Sadly, also for as long as I have been drinking real ales, I have been unable to find a Christmas one that did not either taste really awful or, worse, give me a certain unpleasant, if short lived and mild, health problem. Yes, I am talking about the one when the toilet is never close enough - sometimes not even if you're sat on it already. I suspect that the problem is in one or more spices used in the production of many things Christmasy here, not least the venerable Christmas pudding, which I can tolerate only in very, very small quantities. Therefore, this year I have steered very clear of any beer that even hinted at being a special holiday brew. Sad, but true.

So, drinkers beware: your festive pint could easily be your downfall - and not just if it is a Christmas recipe...