Saturday, 5 June 2010

Windows - I Am So Fed Up!

I think I've now had enough of the joke that is MS Windows. The toll it takes on my time and mental health is quickly becoming unbearable. Consider the following:

At work I have a Dual Core 1.6GHz Lenovo laptop running Windows XP. I leave it on for as long as I possibly can, even if it means I waste so much energy it hurts. Why? Because it takes around 20 minutes for it to be fully on and usable when started from scratch.

At home I have an even mightier laptop, an Acer Dual Core 2.20GHz, with a much speedier hard disks, and no hard drive encryption to slow it down. It takes a more reasonable 5 minutes to be fully usable when turned on. I still try to leave it on for as long as I can since time (and especially my time - to me) is precious.

But it gets worse!

I have rebuilt my home laptop from scratch a couple of months back. I have formatted both hard disks, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate from scratch. I have also installed Microsoft Security Essentials immediately, and am updating the system as often as possible. I have also not installed a single piece of illegal, let alone dodgy, software. And what do I find since a few days ago? The system is crawling to nearly a halt while doing precisely nothing. A browser window or two open and it takes almost a minute to do anything.

I've checked all the usual suspects, including a careful look at Task Manager and Services. Nothing untoward there except from the fact Windows decided I want to have the whole contents of my hard disks indexed - including the actual contents of the files. That must be slowing things down, I thought. So, I decided to disable this "feature". It's now been around three (yes, 3) hours and Windows is still going through the arduous  process of disabling this - a file at a time. Come on!

Oh, and I still have the other hard disk to go through...

So, what makes me endure all this?

Mostly it is a few companies not bothering to create software for any other platform, and especially not Linux. Yes, Nokia, I'm looking at you. And to be fair most everyone else.

Luckily, I run dual boot with Linux on most of my machines. I am writing this on an Acer One running Mandriva. It took less than a minute to start, and it's paying all its attention to what I'm doing now, i.e. typing this. Nothing slows me down. I am adding dual boot to that Windows 7 machine ASAP, too. I had it before and gave it up hoping Windows 7 was at least a bit better that Vista. Same difference, I found. But now I've had enough. Really.

To summarise: Windows sucks - big time; Apple sucks - not quite big time; Linux rocks - big time, provided companies get off their rumps and start working with it, rather than against it.

Penguins are cool, and not just because they live in icy Antartica!