Friday, 10 July 2009

I Have Created A Monster!


No, it's not this blog. Although it may easily qualify, too...

Recently, I have spent more time than I care (or dare) to admit sifting through my (also monstrous) music collection. Almost half of that consists of music of ex-Yugoslavia, and also countries it spawned. This smaller half looms very, very large in my mind. Heck, it makes up a large part of who I am. I grew up with, and sometimes because, of it.

So, I spent a lot of time at first just pruning the stuff I never really expected to want to listen to. No, I didn't throw anything away. I am a prolific hoarder of all sorts of stuff. I just created a subset that felt good enough to be put on a personal music player (currently, Apple iPod Shuffle 3rd Generation). I ended up with something that was still monstrous, however. But let me bore you not with silly or scary numbers.

Then, I started going through the list again, this time assigning "star ratings":
  • Two stars for "can listen to sometimes"
  • Three stars for "can listen to most of the time"
  • Four stars for "like to listen to"
  • Five stars "means something special; sends shivers down the spine; ..."
When I finished, I realised that now I had just about enough of "five stars" to fill up my little iPod. Perfect! Or so it seemed at the time. Anyway, I went and dragged the selection over, and went home.

Now, going home involved around an hour's worth of commute. Same going the other way the next day. And you know what I realised: I have created a monster! I usually read on the train. I couldn't really these two hours. Pretty much every single song that got a chance to play evoked so much memories, feelings, and other stuff of that kind, that it was impossible, pointless to even try to concentrate on anything else.

I'm not sure what to do now! Do I go back to a selection of less important and loaded music? But I don't want to! I want to hear what comes next! After all it's close enough to a thousand songs to not matter. I never realised there'd be so many! And I want to hear them all, even if I can't even say which ones are there.

And to think there's almost the same number of similarly rated non-ex-Yugoslav songs! It's good I don't have a bigger music player! But I'm lying. All my mobile phones can take memory cards easily large enough.

But let's not go there -- yet. I have another 46 hours or so before the current playlist repeats! Let's hope I live to hear the end of it. It may prove to be just a tad too much for the poor, old, middle-aged heart.

PS
Watch this space for a link to the list I wax lyrical about above.